Tuesday, March 18, 2008

photography for social change!


There are two things that I've aways wanted to be "when I grow up." A writer and a photographer. Unfortunately, these are two really hard things to do and do well. (And be able to live off of.) Recently, I've been feeling really discouraged in my endeavors.
Journalism seemed like the practical way to be a writer, but I don't think it's really my calling. And photojournalism seemed like a practical way to be a photographer, but I don't think that's my calling either.
What, Lord, could this mean? What do you have planned for me?
I have these desires and passions for writing and photography and so I know it must mean something for the plan that the Lord has for me... but I am not sure.
The unknown is terrifying and yet at the same time, I am excited that I serve a God who is faithful and merciful even amidst confusion and my own doubtful heart.

So where am I going with all of this?
While I'm not exactly saying that I have an idea to change the world or cure diseases, I feel like the Lord has placed this idea into my head and that I have to do something about it. I want to use photography and writing as a means for social change. My photojournalism teacher recently talked about the fact that sometimes when you photograph people... that is the first and possibly last time they will have their picture taken. When your picture is taken, you feel like you belong to something. One of the greatest feelings in the world is to have someone make a piece of art for you. It's a part of you and once it is put into a tangible form... it can be life changing.
My mom painted a portrait of me recently and I can't describe the way it felt to look at that painting, something deep within me stirred. Since we are made in the image of God and God is the Creator, it makes sense that we would love to create things as well.
I'm not sure what this feat will look like. It may mean me going overseas or to rural areas with my camera and taking pictures of people and giving them to them. My mind has been racing thinking about it, but I think using photography to highlight issues and bring to life the fact that not everyone lives in a house and owns a car and has a facebook account. All I know is that something has sparked inside me...

No comments: